Monday, September 3, 2018

Amazing August

"You will know the TRUTH, and the TRUTH will set you free."
John 8:32

The end of July and beginning of August a group of about 10 of us put on a VBS for the kids here in La MisiĆ³n. We planned for 60 kids, had 65 the first day and then had 85 the last 3 days! Needless to say it was a busy and high energy week. The Gospel was shared several times, verses were memorized, crafts were made, games were played and the seeds were planted. The theme was "Agents of the truth." We did skits everyday to tell stories of people in the bible who stood up for the truth and then we talked with the kids about doing the same in their homes and schools. The Sunday after VBS we had so many visitors at church, we ran out of chairs for all of them. It was a blessed week! 






"Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth."
Colossians 3:2
The second week of August we headed to Arandas, 7+ hour bus ride in land, for a youth camp. These are kids from several different churches and cities in Mexico. We played games, worshiped, studied God's word and challenged the campers in their faith. My cabin had 10 campers and 2 counselors in it. During the week we meet with each of our campers for a time to get to know them better and to see where they really are spiritually. One of my campers came to camp thinking she was pregnant. She shared her fears with me and her convictions about how she knew she needed to change some things in her life. I encouraged her to do what was right and to also start going to church regularly. She left the week fearful of what would happen when she returned home, knowing it would not be as "easy" as camp life. Monday morning she texted me that she had broken up with the boyfriend and that she was not pregnant. Praise the Lord! This was a huge step for her. Continuing to pray for her and that she would learn to put all her faith in Christ.  
Everyone was divided in to countries for games and cabins, we did everything in our country teams. My team was Costa Rica! For not being the best at games we got third place over all!! God is good and at work in the lives of these youth! 




"I am the good shepherd, the good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep."
John 10:11
 After camp we took some time to relax and recharge. The following week Sarah, Silvia and I redecorated the class rooms for the kids at church. Downstairs we repainted and then drew this mural on the wall. 

 Upstairs for the older kids we painted all the walls white and then painted the cross on one wall. We decorated the rest of the room with the bible verses from VBS and added bright bursts of colors. Everyone was very pleased with how these spaces turned out! 

 In the midst of all the activities this month I mentioned to a neighbor kid that I really wanted a kitten. A few days later at 10pm I hear knocking on my door and kids yelling my name. I was a little scared but went down to answer the door. To my surprise there were 6 kids at my door and a baby kitten! "Here Alicia we found her for you! They were giving her away in the park and I thought of you!" Thank you Jesus!! I have been wanting this kitten for 3 years now. She may not seam like much to anyone else but she is my gift from God. She means that He provides for me, that I am making friends with the kids here and they are thinking about me and now I have someone with me at home. Her name is Matti Shiloh. Matti comes from Matthew which means "gift from God" and Shiloh means peace. She was peaceful the night I got her...now she is 100% crazy kitten!!

Thank you for all of your prayers and support. You are all such a blessing to me. 
Please keep these things in your prayers: 
  • Agents of Christ starting September 4. A club for kids in elementary. 
  • Youth group every Saturday evening 
  • Women's bible study on Friday nights 
  • The people we visit during the week 
  • The young gal from camp and my other campers 
  • Thank for His goodness and faithfulness 
  • Situation in Venezuela 
Blessings, 
Alicia 
awhitmore@fim.org

Fellowship International Mission
555 S 24th St 
Allentown, PA 18104 






No comments:

Post a Comment